Nothing is theft-proof and no locking system is perfect, but you can take steps to ensure that your bike is a less-attractive target to a thief:
- Check to see if your office has secure bicycle parking.
- Consider where and how long your bike must be parked when deciding how to secure it. If possible, keep your bike in your office or in a secured room at your workplace.
- If your bike must be parked outside, lock your frame and both wheels to an immovable object. Don t lock your bike to a sign or other object that can be easily unbolted, bent, cut or removed. Pick a well-traveled, lighted place; thieves don’t like working in exposed areas.
- Consider leaving your heavy U-lock at work, locked to the bike parking rack. Carry a light cable lock with you for quick errands, and use both locks at work.
- When not in use, cable locks can be wrapped around the seat post and U-locks can often be carried on a rear rack or bracket.
- Take all easily removed accessories with you when leaving your bike unattended.