Strategic Plan for the MOITS Planning Program
In 2010, a Strategic Plan for the MOITS Planning Program was developed. The full report as well as an Executive Summary are available via the links above. The Strategic Plan identifies projects and actions that will support effective M&O in the region, and advises member agencies on management, operations, and technology deployments for meeting common regional goals and objectives. The MOITS Technical Subcommittee advised the development of the Strategic Plan.
The MOITS Strategic Plan builds upon the TPB Vision by identifying key tactical actions toward achieving and building upon the goals, objectives, and strategies of the Vision, including:
- Provide regional situational awareness of transportation system conditions and of incidents or factors that may impact transportation conditions - Regional situational awareness includes real-time information concerning the status of the transportation network and transportation assets, static information concerning schedules and resources, and dynamic information concerning evolving transportation conditions.
- Develop and maintain regionally coordinated standard operating procedures - Regional standard operating practices are practices followed when coordinating with other regional stakeholders. These practices include procedures for coordinating daily regional operations and responding to incidents, events, or conditions with significant regional impact.
- Inform travelers in a timely and effective manner so those travelers will make good transportation decisions - Informing the traveler includes providing correct and timely transportation information to public agencies, media outlets, independent service providers, and the general public.
- Integrate technical systems and processes to maximize interoperability and ensure the beneficial and synergistic impacts of those systems working together - Regional integration includes connecting technical systems between member agencies, establishing regional standard operating procedures, and sharing information in support of regional operations.
The MOITS Strategic Plan concludes with a summary of important recommendations from throughout the plan. These recommendations should help guide the future activities of the MOITS program with the metropolitan transportation planning process, and the MOITS Technical Subcommittee.
- The MOITS program should continue advising the TPB, as well as serving as a regional forum for information exchange, on the topics of transportation management, operations, and technology.
- The MOITS program and other key regional groups, including the Regional Emergency Support Function #1 (RESF-1) Emergency Transportation Committee, the Metropolitan Area Transportation Operations Coordination (MATOC) Program, and Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority operations and technology groups, should continue and strengthen coordination and collaboration among their activities and participants.
- The MOITS program should strengthen its focus on the Strategic Plan's identified tactical actions: situational awareness, standard operating procedures, informing travelers, and systems interoperability.
- The role of the MOITS program in defining and developing regional projects should be strengthened.
- The MOITS program should encourage member agencies and jurisdictions to follow the best practices identified in the Strategic Plan.
- The MOITS program should strengthen its understanding of performance measurement and benefit-cost analysis to better advise decision makers on potential impacts (including for congestion and air quality), and comparison to traditional capital investments.
- The MOITS program should work to inform decision makers on the specific strategic efforts and proposed projects identified by the Strategic Plan, and encourage funding for these and other beneficial activities.
Andrew Meese - (202) 962-3789