The deadline for project submissions for the FY 2014 TLC Technical Assistance Program is May 15, 2013.
The FY 2014 project solicitation will be conducted in two parts: an abstract submission and an application submission. FY 2014 TLC technical assistance will again contain a design project component in addition to the planning studies traditionally funded through the program
Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit an abstract of their project idea: FY 2014 Abstract Submission Form. Abstracts are due by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, March 29, 2013. TPB staff will review abstracts and provide to the applicant feedback on how to enhance a project concept. During the FY 2012 and FY 2013 project solicitations, this interim review allowed applicants to hone their project ideas to more clearly align with TLC concepts. An applicant is not required to submit an abstract. Abstracts are not reviewed by the TLC Selection Panel.
Applications for FY 2014 TLC technical assistance are due by 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 15, 2013.
In addition to the application, applicants are also required to submit a Project Overview Form with each application.
This form will provide the TLC Selection Panel with a succinct overview of each project, highlighting the key components of each project as emphasized by the applying organization.
Each application (both planning and design) must be accompanied by a letter of endorsement from the Chief Elected Official or Chief Administrative Officer of a TPB member jurisdiction.
Any TPB member jurisdiction in the Metropolitan Washington Region is eligible to apply. Please see the FY 2014 TLC Application for more details on the requirements for the planning and design project applications.
Recipients will receive short-term consultant services. Recipients will not receive direct financial assistance. For planning projects, recipients are eligible to receive a range of $20,000 to $60,000 in technical assistance. For the design pilot project, up to $80,000 is available for one project.
30 Percent Design Project
The TPB will again make available up to $80,000 to provide consultant assistance for one project that will fund 30 percent design work for a previously completed planning study. The planning study may be a previously funded TLC study or a planning study completed by a jurisdiction. Applicants are asked to demonstrate local and community support for the design work, as well as local commitment to carrying the project forward to construction. Requirements for the design pilot project are outlined on the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page.
For more information about the application process and the TLC Technical Assistance Program, please visit the FAQs page on the TLC website.
To apply for TLC technical assistance or for more information contact TLC Program staff at TLC@mwcog.org.
In the past, applicants have expressed frustration with the Adobe application form. Please review the tips below. If they do not work, please contact TPB staff.
- Download or save the application to your computer. Complete the application on your computer and save it. The application should retain the information, and the application can now be attached to an e-mail.
- If the Adobe file does not retain the information after you save it, or if it will not allow you to save the file, go to the print menu and select "Print to PDF". This should create a duplicate of the application that is static (i.e.: it will not allow you to make edits to the form). Numerous free conversion software options can be downloaded that will accomplish this task.
The TPB hosted an application workshop on Friday, March 15, 2013. TPB staff reviewed the following information:
- The timeline for the FY 2014 round of TLC technical assistance.
- An overview of the planning and design application materials.
- Evaluation Criteria that will be used by the Selection Panel.
- Lessons learned and success stories from past TLC technical assistance projects.
The workshop was also offered as a webinar and was recorded. Please download and view the workshop via the recording: TLC Application Workshop Webinar Recording (MP4 video file, 8 MB)
TPB staff provided a presentation reviewing the FY 2014 TLC Program materials, schedule and process. All application materials may be found above.
TPB staff presented the following at the workshop: FY 2014 TLC Application Workshop
The FY 2014 TLC Technical Assistance Application Timeline is as follows:
- March 8, 2013: Release of the project solicitation.
- March 15: TLC Application Workshop - 1:00pm via webinar and at MWCOG.
- March 29: Abstracts (optional) are due by 4:00 p.m. to TLC@mwcog.org.
- April 18: Feedback on the abstracts will be returned to the applicant.
- May 15: Applications are due by 4:00 p.m. to TLC@mwcog.org.
- July 17: The TPB is scheduled to approve the FY 2014 TLC projects.
Please submit all application materials via e-mail to TLC@mwcog.org.