What is LUCA?
LUCA is the only opportunity offered to tribal, state, and local governments to review and comment on the U.S.Census Bureau’s residential address list for their jurisdiction prior to the 2020 Census.The Census Bureau relies on a complete and accurate address list to reach every living quarters and associated population for inclusion in the census.
Why participate in LUCA?
- To help ensure an accurate decennial census count in your community.
- To help the federal government distribute more than $400 billion in funds annually for infrastructure, programs, and services.
- To help your community plan for future needs.
Who can participate in LUCA?
Active, functioning, legal governments can participate in LUCA. These include:
- Federally recognized tribes with a reservation and/or off-reservation trust lands.
- Cities (incorporated places).
- Townships (minor civil divisions).