More than 7, 000 people in metropolitan Washington have already pledged to go car-free or car-lite for Car Free Day on September 22 with two days still left to take the pledge for 2017. Car Free Day 2017 has far exceeded last year’s pledge total of 4,497 by more than 50 percent. The Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments Commuter Connections program is encouraging drivers who have not yet taken the pledge to join the thousands of people in the region who will reduce their carbon footprint on Car Free Day and become eligible to win great prizes.
“Every pledge makes a difference. Every mile saved matters,” said Nicholas Ramfos, Commuter Connections Director. “By taking the pledge to go car-free, you are helping to reduce traffic congestion as well as improve quality of life in our community and the air we breathe.”
Car Free Day is an international event to encourage green travel options, environmental awareness, and alternatives to drive-alone transportation, such as using public transit, bicycling, walking, teleworking, or carpooling.
There are several events occurring throughout the region on Car Free Day, including:
- a Car Free Day celebration in front of City Hall in the City of Alexandria from 8 A.M to 12 P.M.,
- free rides on all Connector and Shuttles buses through TransIT Services of Frederick County,
- free giveaways and a chance to win prizes at the Germantown Transit Center and Bethesda, Friendship Heights, White Flint, Shady Grove and Silver Spring Metrorail stations in Montgomery County,
- free giveaways at the North Beach Farmer’s Market on the Boardwalk in Calvert County from 4 to 9 P.M.,
- and walking and bicycling tours as well as free giveaways in the City of Manassas.
Everyone who signs up to take the free pledge at www.carfreemetrodc.org will receive a buy- one, get-one free offer from Chipotle and will be automatically entered in the 2017 Car Free Day raffle with a chance to win great prizes, including: a Kindle Fire; gift cards from Mellow Mushroom, Giant Food Stores, and Sweetgreen Restaurant; commuter train round-trip passes; $25 SmarTrip fare cards; Capital Bikeshare annual memberships; and more!
Raffle prizes were made possible by the generosity of many local businesses who are using this opportunity to support going green and cleaner air for the region.
Stay up-to-date on Car Free Day Metro DC, and share your Car Free experiences by using #CarFreeDay on Facebook and Twitter and follow us on Facebook and Twitter: @CarFreeMetroDC.