It is the policy of the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments (COG) to provide equal access for individuals with disabilities and those with limited English skills to programs, meetings, publications, and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided by COG upon request with reasonable advance notice. Reasonable accommodations may include translation services, modifications or adjustments to a program, publication, or activity to enable an individual with a disability or someone who does not speak English to participate. Examples include:
- Providing sign language interpreters or other language translation services. COG will make reasonable efforts to accommodate requests. This assumes COG is given adequate time to secure those services and services in a particular language are available within the requested time period;
- Providing meeting materials in alternative formats (such as translated materials in languages other than English, large print or electronic copies);
- Providing tables that are suitable for people using electric wheelchairs;
- Alerting security staff that persons with disabilities will need assistance to the meeting room;
- Alerting garage attendants that a person with a disability will need accessible parking spaces;
- Offering individuals the ability to participate in meetings through conference calls and other accommodations, as necessary.
Meetings and Events
Translation services in sign language and languages other than English are available upon request with reasonable advance notice for meetings that are open to the public. Other accommodations, such as special seating requirements, can also be arranged. Please allow up to seven (7) business days to process your request. COG will make reasonable efforts to accommodate requests. This assumes COG is given adequate time to secure those services and services in a particular language are available with the requested time period.
Most publications are available on the website. Alternative formats of publications, including translated documents, are also available upon request. Please allow up to seven (7) business days to process your request.
Advance Notice Requested for Interpreting or CART Services
An individual needing a sign language interpreter, translator, or Communication Access Real-time Translation (CART) service to participate in a meeting or event should request the interpreter service at least seven (7) days in advance of the event. If the event is more than 12 interpreting hours, such as a two day conference, COG asks that the request be made 14 days in advance. Late requests will be handled based upon the availability of service(s).
To make a request:
Phone: (202) 962-3300
TDD: (202) 962-3213
Email: Office of Communications
To read the Accommodations Policy in different languages, click on the links below:
Spanish - Español
French - Français
Korean - 한국의
Vietnamese - tiếng Việt
Amharic - አማርኛ
We welcome comments on how to improve accessibility for users with disabilities. Please email us with suggestions.
Finding Alternative Formats of COG Publications
Publications can be found on the COG website in a variety of ways:
On the Documents Page
Visit the Documents page to view publications in a variety of ways, including alphabetical and chronological order.
On Committee Pages
If you are looking for an agenda, report, letter, presentation, or other document from one of COG’s committees, visit the Committees page. This page links to individual committees where you can find publications and meeting materials associated with that committee.
The search box found in the website header allows you to find publications using a variety of categories.
For additional assistance in finding specific publications, email the Office of Communications or call (202) 962-3300.